Event: Water Boil
Core Singles Event
Safety Code Blue
Note: Competitors participating in the Axe Throw, Chain Saw, Pole Climb, Super Swede or Single Buck are not eligible for this event.
- Corral must be a safe distance from the spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- First aid and fire extinguishers should be on site and available immediately.
- Chainmail glove on the hand holding the wood is mandatory and must be shown to the judge prior to the start. A competitor will not be permitted to compete without the glove.
- Using a block of cedar diameter 20 - 25cm (8 - 10in), a hatchet and 3 matches, the competitor must bring to a boil a mixture 250ml (8 ounces) of soapy water.
- Matches must be wooden, large, and reliable to strike anywhere to light. (ie. Red Bird. Eddy).
- Competitors must supply their own hatchet and is only permitted that one hatchet to complete the event. Hatchet head weight 1.13 kilos (2.5lb) maximum.
- Host will supply dried cedar block as knot free as possible, 3 matches and a can of required soapy water.
- One (1) wooden cookie may be used as a splitting platform.
- Fires may be built on cookies if the host school supplies them, otherwise they must be build on the ground.
- Competitors may obtain more matches if necessary but only one (1) at a time from their judge.
- The top of the can cannot be covered in any way.
- The competitor cannot receive any help in any way or a DQ will result.
- The event judge must confirm safety rules are being adhered to prior to each competitor starting the event. The event will not begin if there is missing safety gear.
- The starting signal is: Timers ready, Competitors ready, 3-2-1-GO. The competitor must begin the event with the axe touching the wood at the start, and must remain on the wood until GO.
- Starting prior to GO will result in a disqualification.
- If any spillage from the can occurs prior to reaching a boil, a new can must be obtained from event judge or field event central. If not done a DQ will result.
- The judge may stop the competitor competing if it is felt a serious injury has occurred. A time will be recorded if the can eventually boils over before the time limit.
- Time will stop when the water boils over edge of the can.
- The event has a ten (10) minute time limit or it will be recorded as a disqualification.