Event: Underhand Chop
Core Doubles Event
Safety Code Amber
Note: Competitors participating in Quarter Split or Standing Block Chop are not eligible for this event.
Reminder: Competitors must either wear chain mail in conjunction with CSA approved steel toed footwear or the metal/aluminum guards securely fastened.
- Corral must a safe distance from spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- Two (2) team members must each cut through their own horizontally supported cant.
- The wood should be 8 x 8in (20.32 x 20.32cm) for men and 6 x 6in (15.24 x 15.24cm) for women.
- Chains, spikes or stantion may be used in supporting the cant. No team members may assist in supporting the can.
- Each competitor must use an unmodified, conventional axe. One per competitor. Competitors may share an axe as well.
- One replacement axe may be used in case of breakage and must be in the corral at the time of the event.
- The first competitor only, must have their axe on top of the wood to start the event.
- The starting signal is: Timers ready, Competitors ready, 3-2-1-GO. The competitor must begin the event with the axe touching the wood at the start, and must remain on the wood until GO.
- Starting prior to GO will result in a ten (10) second penalty.
- The second competitor may not begin until the first competitor has completed their chop. If they do, a DQ will result.
- Once the second competitor begins their chop, the first competitor cannot chop again.
- If the competitor falls off the log, they may not resume chopping until they are back in the footholds. No chopping if falling off the log.
- All chopping must be between footholds. If a competitor chops into the footholds, a thirty (30) second penalty will result.
- Upon completion of the event, incomplete chops will result in a DQ.
- If the cant becomes dislodged from its stantions before completing the chop, it will result in a DQ
- If slabbing occurs, the event will continue unless nails are not used. DQ will result.
- Non-adherance to the safety gear or inappropriate dress will result in a DQ.
- Competitors are not permitted to touch the log until the judge makes their decision. If done, DQ will result.
- Time will stop when the second competitor chops completely through their cant.
- This event has a ten (10) minute time limit. If not, will be recorded as a DQ.