Event: Underhand Chop
Core Doubles Event
Safety Code Amber
Note: Competitors participating in Quarter Split or Standing Block Chop are not eligible for this event.
Reminder: Competitors must either wear chain mail in conjunction with CSA approved steel toed footwear or the metal/aluminum guards securely fastened.
- Corral must a safe distance from spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- Two (2) team members must each cut through their own horizontally supported cant.
- The wood should be 8 x 8in (20.32 x 20.32cm) for men and 6 x 6in (15.24 x 15.24cm) for women.
- Chains, spikes or stantion may be used in supporting the cant. No team members may assist in supporting the can.
- Each competitor must use an unmodified, conventional axe. One per competitor. Competitors may share an axe as well.
- One replacement axe may be used in case of breakage and must be in the corral at the time of the event.
- The Event Judge must confirm safety rules are being adhered to prior to each team starting the event. The event will not begin if there is missing safety gear.
- The first competitor only, must have their axe on top of the wood to start the event.
- The starting signal is: Timers ready, Competitors ready, 3-2-1-GO. The competitor must begin the event with the axe touching the wood at the start, and must remain on the wood until GO.
- Starting prior to GO will result in a disqualification.
- The second competitor may not begin until the first competitor has completed their chop. If they do, a DQ will result.
- Once the second competitor begins their chop, the first competitor cannot chop again.
- If the competitor falls off the log, they may not resume chopping until they are back in the footholds. No chopping if falling off the log.
- All chopping must be between footholds. If a competitor chops into the footholds, a thirty (30) second penalty will result.
- Upon completion of the event, incomplete chops will result in a DQ.
- If the cant becomes dislodged from its stantions before completing the chop, it will result in a DQ.
- Slabbing rule is in effect. Competitors must try to avoid slabbing by spiking chopping faces. Three (3) spikes/nails (3in / 7.62cm) are provided by competitor.
- If slabbing occurs, the event will continue unless nails are not used. DQ will result.
- If inappropriate dress is worn by the competitor, the judge will not permit the event to start.
- Competitors are not permitted to touch the log until the judge makes their decision. If done, DQ will result.
- Time will stop when the second competitor chops completely through their cant.
- This event has a five (5) minute time limit, with a maximum two (2) minutes and thirty (30) seconds chopping time per competitor, or it will be recorded as a DQ. The timer shall notify the competitors after the first competitor or during the second competitor if the time limit is exceeded. If the first competitor exceeds the time limit, the second competitor may do their chop in the spirit of competition.