Event: Super Swede Saw
Core Singles Event
Safety Code Blue
Note: Competitors participating in the Axe Throw, Chain Saw, Pole Climb, Single Buck or Water Boil are not eligible for this event.
- Corral must be a safe distance from the spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- Chain binders, straps or team mates weight (no spare) may be used to assist in securing the log. Logs must be securely fastened. Body weight must be on stanchion frame only.
- The competitor is required to make four (4) complete cuts.
- The wood should be 8 x 8in (20.32 x 20.32cm) for men and 6 x 6in (15.24 x 15.24cm) for women, poplar or white pine and be as bark free as possible.
- The saw horse height to the bottom of the cant must be between 59cm (23in) and 69cm (27in).
- The blade must be on the log prior to the start of the event and must not move prior to the starting signal.
- For safety reasons, the spare may hold an extra saw in case of breakage. If this occurs, the spare must not hand the saw to the team. The team must retrieve it.
- The starting signal is: Timers ready, Competitors ready, 3-2-1-GO.
- Starting prior to GO will result in a ten (10) second penalty.
- Competitor must cut 4 complete cookies from the cant. If a cookie is broken, the competitor may continue the cut, as long as they cut completely through the cant. The 2 pieces must be able to be put back together in order to determine if the cut was complete or not. A disc would be complete if a sheer cut is less than 1cm/0.4 in. Shear cuts greater than 1 cm in width in either direction, (not in length) will receive a one (1) second penalty.
- A shear cut is a sliver of wood that stays attached to the disc. A sliver of wood that stays attached to the cant is considered a broken disc.
- The competitor is responsible for making sure that they have four (4) complete cookies at the end of the event. If a cookie is incomplete, the competitor must make a re-cut. The competitor will signal the judge when they have their 4 cookies complete.
- Competitors are not permitted to touch the discs until the judge makes their decision. Touching or removing discs results in DQ.
- Time will stop when the competitor signals the judge they have the 4 complete cookies.
- After the competitor has signal the event is complete, the event judge will check the cookies and assign penalties if applicable. Shear cut 1 sec penalty per infraction, incomplete cookie will be 30 seconds.
- The event will not begin if safety gear is missing. A full leather glove must be worn on the bottom hand.
- This event has a five (5) minute time limit or it will be recorded as a DQ.