Event: Chain Saw
Core Singles Event
Safety Code Red
Note: Competitors participating in the Axe Throw, Pole Climb, Single Buck, Super Swede or Water Boil are not eligible for this event.
- Corral must be a safe distance from the spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- The wood should be white pine or poplar.
- The wood should be 8 x 8in (20.32 x 20.32cm) and be bark free. However, round wood is accepted with a diameter no greater than 30 cm (12in).
- The saw horse height to the bottom of the cant must be between 59cm (23in) and 69cm (27in).
- The wood will be marked with lines drawn completely around and 10cm (4in) from the end of the block.
- If the drawn line is completely severed or the cut is on the other side of the drawn area, a DQ will result.
- The competitor's hands must be resting on the line drawn on the top of the block and must not move prior to the starting signal.
- Only team mates may assist in holding the cant.
- The saw must be started in a safe manner. If drop started, it will result in disqualification.
- If the saw cuts off after the competitor touches it, it must be re-started and the cut completed. The judge will determine if the saw is faulty. If so, a new saw is introduced and a new cut will be made. If the saw is good, then the time will stand.
- Warm up: 15 seconds to warm up saw. The event should start approximately 15 seconds after the warm up.
- The competitor starts the saw and rests it idling on the ground without the chain moving.
- The starting signal is: Timers ready, Competitors ready, 3-2-1-GO.
- Starting prior to GO will result in a ten (10) second penalty.
- The competitor picks up the saw and saws a complete cut through the top of the log followed by a complete cut through the bottom of the log.
- If a disc is incomplete, the competitor must cut another in exactly the same direction. A broken disc can be complete if it can be put back together and it clearly shows that the saw cut completely through the log.
- Time will stop when the second disc is cut from the cant.
- The event will not begin if there is missing gear.