Event: Chain Saw
Core Singles Event
Safety Code Red
Note: Competitors participating in the Axe Throw, Pole Climb, Single Buck, Super Swede or Water Boil are not eligible for this event.
- Corral must be a safe distance from the spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- The wood should be white pine or poplar.
- The wood should be 8 x 8in (20.32 x 20.32cm) and be bark free. However, round wood is accepted with a diameter no greater than 30 cm (12in).
- The saw horse height to the bottom of the cant must be between 59cm (23in) and 69cm (27in).
- The wood will be marked with lines drawn completely around and 10cm (4in) from the end of the block.
- If the drawn line is completely severed or the cut is on the other side of the drawn area, a DQ will result.
- The competitor's hands must be resting on the line drawn on the top of the block and must not move prior to the starting signal (GO). All eight (8) fingers must be resting or over the drawn line.
- Only teammates may assist in holding the cant.
- The Event Judge must confirm safety rules are being adhered to prior to each competitor starting the event. The event will not begin if there is missing safety gear.
- The saw must be started in a safe manner. If drop started, it will result in disqualification.
- If the saw cuts off after the competitor touches it, it must be re-started and the cut completed. If the saw is good, then the time will stand.If the judge determines that the saw is faulty, a new saw is introduced and a new cut will be made.
- Warm up: 15 seconds to warm up saw. The event should start approximately 15 seconds after the warm up.
- The competitor starts the saw and rests it idling on the ground without the chain moving.
- The starting signal is: Timers ready, Competitors ready, 3-2-1-GO.
- Starting prior to GO will result in a disqualification.
- The competitor picks up the saw and saws a complete cut through the top of the log followed by a complete cut through the bottom of the log.
- If a disc is incomplete, the competitor must cut another in exactly the same direction. A broken disc can be complete if it can be put back together and it clearly shows that the saw cut completely through the log.
- Time will stop when the second disc is cut from the cant.