Event: Axe Throw
Core Singles Event
Safety Code Green
Note: Competitors participating in the Chain Saw, Pole Climb, Single Buck, Super Swede or Water Boil are not eligible for this event.
- Corral must be a safe distance from spectators and only competing athletes, event judge and timer are permitted inside.
- The axe head must be double bitted. The handle must be a minimum of 60cm (24in) in length. (Measurement from top of axe head at the eye)
- Inverted, spliced or modified axe heads are not permitted.
- The target must be 60cm (24in) in diameter and be placed 6 meters (20ft) from the throwing line. It must be secured solidly.
- The center (bullseye) must be 1.5 meters (5ft) from the ground. (=/-.05 meters (2in).
- Scoring areas are as follows: bullseye 0-15cm (6in) =25 points, inner circle 15-30 cm (6-12in) =15 points, outer circle 30-60cm (12-24in) =10 points.
- Two (2) practice throws are permitted.
- Scoring is totaled from four (4) throws after practice throws are completed.
- If the axe bisects two (2) scoring areas, the higher value is awarded.
- The host school may insert a full, unopened pop can into the "bull's eye" for special effects. If the axe head, not the handle, punctures the pop can and falls to the ground, a "bull's eye" is scored.
- Only the leading edge of the axe may score points. If both edges of the axe stick then the non-leading edge must be tapped out by the competitor and the leading edge must support the axe.
- The axe upon striking the target must stay in long enough for the judge to record the throw.
- Crossing the throwing line before the axe hits the target, will result in a DQ of that throw.